Prophylaxis is a type of dental cleaning, designed to thoroughly clean the teeth and help halt the progression of periodontal disease. Prophylaxis helps to remove the bacteria, plaque, and debris in your mouth to prevent the periodontal pockets from deepening and keep your mouth in good health. For more information about prophylaxis in [city], [state], and to schedule your appointment with Dr. [doctor_name], please call us today at [phone].
Prophylaxis can be performed as part of your regular dental visits or, if needed, under general anesthetia. There are several stages of prophylaxis:
- Supragingival cleaning – in which our dentist thoroughly cleans above the gum line.
- Subgingival cleaning – in which our dentist removes calculus and tartar from the gum pockets and below the gum line.
- Root planing – in which the tooth root is smoothed out to remove bacteria and help prevent future bacteria colonization.
- Medication – antibiotics and antimicrobial creams are placed in the gum pockets to promote fast and healthy healing.
- X-rays and examination – routine X-rays show the extent of bone and gum tissue damage so that our dentist can identify areas that require additional attention.
Benefits of prophylaxis include the removal of tartar and plaque buildup, fresher breath, and a healthier appearance.
Contact our office today to make your appointment with our experienced dentist, and to learn more about how prophylaxis can improve your oral health and smile.